Chicken baked with Yogurt and Pita Chips
Serve immediately, and hot as a mid-day meal or late evening meal.
- 4 chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- 1-1/2 cup chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and baked for 10 minutes in olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large wheat pita bread, toasted
- salt, to taste
1. In a 4-quart saucepan on medium heat add chicken, bay leaf and cover with water. Cook for 30 minuntes until meat is no longer pink. Shred chicken and set aside. In a saute pan om medium-high heat add 3 tablespoons butter and rice, mix well and fry rice for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring heat to high when boiling cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 15 minutes until rice is done.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350F. In a heat proof serving dish layer chicken and rice until finished. Sprinkle paprika on top of chicken and rice. Tear pita bread and cover the top of the chicken and rice. In a small bowl add yogurt and garlic, mix well. Pour yogurt mixture all over the top. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle on top of yogurt. Place dish in the oven for 10 minutes and serve.